Provincial Court

How to start or respond to a family law case to get a new order

Choose the correct guide

First, select the correct guide from the links below. Then read the step-by-step instructions. Once you're familiar with the instructions, you can open the forms and fill them out.

  • If you're applying for a family order, you're called the applicant.
  • If you're responding to an application for a family order, you're called the respondent.

Important: These guides won't tell you how to apply for a divorce or divide property. (This is because the Provincial Court can't make orders related to divorce or property. You have to go to BC Supreme Court for that.) For help with doing your own divorce, see our online divorce guide.

If either party lives outside BC, you may not be able to use these guides. Please contact a lawyer for advice. See Who can help? for how to find a lawyer. See also our fact sheet What if one party doesn't live in BC? (Interjurisdictional issues).