Parents Legal Centre
The Parents Legal Centre (PLC) helps parents in Vancouver and Burnaby settle their child protection matters early on and collaboratively (everyone working together). It offers services at any stage of the child protection case, from first contact with the Ministry of Children and Family Development or a delegated Aboriginal agency, until it's obvious the matter can't be settled out of court in a cooperative way.
The PLC opened in 2015 at the Vancouver Provincial Court at Robson Square (800 Hornby Street) to accept child protection cases from Vancouver and Burnaby.
A second PLC is now open in Surrey at Newton Town Centre (7337 137th Street). The Surrey PLC will help parents facing matters that could go to Surrey Provincial Court. This centre will accept child protection cases from Surrey, White Rock, Delta (for cases handled by Métis Family Services), and parts of Langley.
The Parents Legal Centre provides:
- information and advice about settling child protection issues out of court,
- legal advice and representation through mediation and family case planning conferences,
- legal advice and representation at uncontested hearings (this means you and the ministry have come to an agreement),
- an advocate who will support you and go with you to meetings and appointments, and
- referrals to other services, including online resources and other public agencies.
You may be eligible for these services if:
- your income and assets fall within the limits,
- you're a parent, guardian, or person taking the place of a parent, and
- your case can be settled out of court in a cooperative way.
If you already have a lawyer working with you on your child protection issue, the Parents Legal Centre can't help you.