Parents Legal Centre

The Parents Legal Centre helps parents in Vancouver and Burnaby settle their child protection matters early on and collaboratively (everyone working together). It offers services at any stage of the child protection case, from first contact with the Ministry of Children and Family Development or a delegated Aboriginal agency, until it's obvious the matter can't be settled out of court in a cooperative way.

The centre is at the Vancouver Provincial Courthouse at Robson Square (800 Hornby Street). It only accepts child protection cases from Vancouver and Burnaby. Parents Legal Centre lawyers and advocates don’t travel to other courthouses.

The Parents Legal Centre provides:

  • information and advice about settling child protection issues out of court,
  • legal advice and representation through mediation and family case planning conferences,
  • legal advice and representation at uncontested (if both parties agree) hearings, and
  • referrals to other services, including online resources and other public agencies.

You may be eligible for these services if:

  • your income and assets fall within the limits,
  • you're a parent, guardian, or person taking the place of a parent, and
  • your case can be settled out of court in a cooperative way.

If you already have a lawyer working with you on your child protection issue, the Parents Legal Centre can't help you.

To find out if you're eligible for this service, visit your local legal aid office or call the LSS Call Centre.