You can get in touch with a lawyer through the Lawyer Referral Service. Available in many communities, the Lawyer Referral Service is a program that lets you meet with a lawyer for 30 minutes to discuss your legal problem. This meeting is free.
Greater Vancouver: 604-687-3221
Elsewhere in BC: 1-800-663-1919
8:30am – 5pm (Monday – Friday)
You can also email.
For more information, go to Access Pro Bono's website.
What should I do when I phone?
When you phone the Lawyer Referral Service:
- explain briefly the type of problem you have,
- get the name of a lawyer and a phone number to call, and
- phone the lawyer to set up an appointment (say that the Lawyer Referral Service referred you).
What will happen at my appointment?
When you go to your Lawyer Referral Service appointment:
- The lawyer will give you one interview of up to 30 minutes. This meeting is free. You can use this time to explain your situation.
- The lawyer will tell you whether you have a legal problem. He or she will tell you what your choices are, what is involved, and how much he or she would charge to help you with the case.
- If you get along with the lawyer and can afford legal help, you may want to hire this person to assist you with some or all of your case (see What you can expect from a lawyer). Be sure to ask for an estimate of the total fees before agreeing to hire the lawyer.
Tip: If the first appointment doesn't work out, you can call the Lawyer Referral Service and get another name.