Provincial Court — If you can't agree

How to change a family order

Important: Before you use this guide, you must start a family law case to change an order. If you want to change a court order, see the self-help guide How to start or respond to a family law case to change an order.

Once you've followed the steps in that guide, you can apply to change your order using this guide.

Who these guides are for and how they work

If your child support case is in Kelowna Provincial Court, see our fact sheet for important information.

These do-it-yourself guides are for people who:

  • can't agree with the other party about how to change an order about parenting or support,


  • want to change an order that was originally made in the Provincial Court of British Columbia (Family Court),


  • want to respond to an application to change an order that was made in this court.

These guides are also for people who can agree on some issues but not on others, such as parenting time or how much spousal or child support should be paid.

These guides won't tell you how to apply for a divorce or divide property. For more information about doing your own divorce, see our online divorce guide.

Important: If you're applying for support and either party lives outside BC, you won't be able to use these guides. Contact a lawyer for advice. For more information about getting support and to get the forms you need, see Interjurisdictional Support Orders, an Attorney General website.

It's a good idea to get some legal help before you begin a guide. You need to know if an application to vary an order is the right choice, or if you need to appeal. To appeal a court order, important time limits must be met. If you have an interim order, you may require a longer trial or a hearing to get a final order. When you go to get legal advice, take a copy of your court order with you.

If you can't afford a lawyer, there are other ways to get legal help, including the Lawyer Referral Service, pro bono (free) clinics, family duty counsel, or advice lawyers. See Who can help for more information.

These guides include:

  • a list of steps explaining what to do,
  • links to blank copies of the court forms you will need and instructions for filling out these forms,
  • information about what happens when you go to court, and
  • tips on how to represent yourself if you don't have a lawyer.

Click the correct guide (see links below) to see a list of step-by-step instructions. Select the appropriate guide for your situation. Then read the instructions. Once you're familiar with them, print out, download, or open the forms you need and fill them out.