Supreme Court

How to do your own undefended (uncontested) divorce

Choose the correct guide

Both of these guides include:

  • step-by-step instructions on how to apply for an uncontested divorce in BC,
  • links to blank forms you'll need, and
  • information about where to file or send the documents to get a divorce.

First, select the correct guide from the links below. The table below the links sets out the differences between sole and joint applications. To use either guide, you and your spouse must agree on all the orders you're asking the court to make.

Sole application

Joint application

You believe your spouse isn't going to respond to (argue against) your application. You both know you want to work together.
You're filing for divorce but your spouse isn't involved in the application process.
You're applying for all court orders, including the one for divorce, together.
Only you will provide the information on the forms and sign them. Either of you (or both of you together) can fill out the forms. You both need to sign some of the forms.
You have to arrange to have forms served on your spouse (twice) by someone else. You don't need to serve the forms on your spouse.
If your spouse doesn't respond, you need to fill out an additional form to prove that you've served the forms (the Affidavit of Service). You don't need to fill out any Affidavits of Service.