Supreme Court — Sole application

How to do your own undefended (uncontested) divorce

Step 1

Gather your documents

Start by gathering and organizing your documents. This step explains what documents you need and how to get them.

Your marriage certificate

When you ask the court to grant a divorce, you need to file proof of your marriage in the form of a marriage certificate. See our self-help guide How to get a copy of your marriage certificate.

A photo of your spouse

When your spouse is served with his or her copy of the documents, the person who does the serving must have a way to identify your spouse. A good way to do this is to give the process server a photo of him or her.

Your separation agreement or court order

You may have a separation agreement or court order that sets out what you've agreed to or what the court has already ordered about parenting, child and spousal support, and/or property.

If so, refer to that separation agreement or court order when filling out the documents for divorce. You'll also need to attach a copy to the documents you file with the court.

Important: If you need to make a separation agreement, contact a family justice counsellor, mediator, or family law lawyer for help. See our fact sheets Making an agreement after you separate and Who can help you reach an agreement? Or see our self-help guide How to write your own separation agreement to find out how to draft your own agreement.

The court forms you need to complete

The steps that follow set out which forms to fill out and what to do with each form. If you'd like to see a complete list of all these forms before you start, see our Sole divorce court forms page. Depending on your circumstances, you'll need to fill out between 10 and 13 forms for your divorce application.

Ready for the next step?

Yes, I have my:

marriage certificate

photo of my spouse

separation agreement (if applies)

court order (if applies)

back arrowBack to: Intro

forward arrowGo to: Step 2