Provincial Court — If you can't agree

How to start or respond to a family law case to change an order

Choose the correct guide

First select the correct guide from the links below. Then read the step-by-step instructions. Once you're familiar with the instructions, print out, download, or open the forms you need and fill them out.

  • If you're applying to change a family order, you're called the applicant.
  • If you're responding to an application to change a family order, you're called the respondent.

Important: These guides won't tell you how to apply for a divorce or divide property. (This is because the Provincial Court can't make orders related to divorce or property. You have to go to BC Supreme Court for that.) For more information about doing your own divorce, see our online divorce guide.

If you're applying for support and either party lives outside BC, you won't be able to use these guides. Contact a lawyer for advice. For more information about getting support and to get the forms you need, see Interjurisdictional Support Orders, an Attorney General website.