Legal advice

For some family law problems, you'll need legal advice from a lawyer. A lawyer can:

  • listen to your story,
  • explain the law, and
  • tell you what your options are.

If you're working on your own case, you may want to contact a lawyer for specific advice only (not for your whole case). For example, you might ask a lawyer to advise you about how successful you might be at arguing undue hardship in response to an application to increase support payments.

To determine this, the lawyer would need to know about:

  • your financial situation,
  • obligations to other family members,
  • work history,
  • and any unusual expenses you've taken on to support your previous family.

Or you might ask a lawyer to look over court forms you've completed and let you know if there is anything you might change or add to make your application more effective.

You may be able to get the name of a lawyer who specializes in family law problems from a community agency (such as a women's centre) or a community advocate. Or use one of the other resources listed under "Other services" (see the links on the right) to find a lawyer you can speak with.

Tip: Whatever service you use, you'll make better use of your time if you are well organized. See our fact sheet How to work well with a lawyer.