Who can help?

If you've tried to resolve your family law problem but need some help, some of the services below may help you work out an agreement or apply for court orders. Use these links to find the best service to meet your needs.

Emergency services

Transition houses
Temporary housing for women and children leaving abusive situations

VictimLink BC
Province-wide telephone help line provided by government that can connect you to a victim service worker or program in your area

Specially trained people who can help you

People trained to resolve disputes by listening to each party and then making a decision that is legally binding

Aboriginal community legal workers
Legal Services Society (Legal Aid) staff in Duncan and Nanaimo who provide legal information and some legal advice

Child support officers
Attorney General staff who help parents with child support matters

Collaborative family lawyers
Specially trained lawyers who work in teams with separating spouses

Community partners
Service providers throughout BC who provide legal information and referrals to services such as legal aid

Family advice lawyers
Lawyers paid by Legal Aid to provide brief legal advice services

Family duty counsel (family lawyers)
Lawyers at the courthouses paid by Legal Aid to help people with low incomes deal with family law problems

Family justice counsellors
Family Justice Centre staff specially trained to help people find solutions to family law problems (they are accredited mediators)

Legal information outreach workers
Legal Aid staff who provide legal information

People specially trained to help couples work together to resolve conflicts

Native courtworkers — Family/Youth advocates
People who help Aboriginal families go through the family court process

Unbundled legal services
Find a lawyer who you can pay to take part of your case while you handle the rest yourself

Programs or services that can help you

Child and Youth Legal Centre
Organization that provides free legal help to young people for problems related to family law, child protection, and many other legal issues.

Family Maintenance Enforcement Program
Provincial government program that collects and tracks child or spousal support orders and agreements

Free (pro bono) legal clinics
Free legal advice clinics for people who can't afford a lawyer but can't get legal aid

Justice Access Centre (Vancouver, Victoria, and Nanaimo)
Government-funded offices that provide family and civil law information, advice, and services

Northern Navigator Initiative in the South Peace Region
Helps couples going through separation or divorce to find the best options to deal with their situation.

Online Divorce Assistant
Free online tool put out by the provincial government. Answering plain-language questions automatically fills out all the forms you need for a joint divorce. Use this tool if you don’t have any dependent children together and your marriage certificate (or registration of marriage) is in English.

Parents Legal Centre
Support for resolving child protection matters out of court

Pro Bono Paralegal Program
In Vancouver, volunteer paralegals help people draft legal documents for family law cases.

Representative for Children and Youth
Service to protect children and youth in BC

Rise Women's Legal Centre
Community legal centre serving all individuals who self-identify as women

Online resources

Online and telephone scripts about the law

Telephone services

Online and telephone scripts about the law

Family LawLINE
Telephone advice line staffed by lawyers paid by Legal Aid

Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Line
Information and advice telephone support line for grandparents and other relatives raising a family member's child

Lawyer Referral Service
Telephone service that provides the name of an eligible lawyer in BC you can have a brief meeting with for a small cost

VictimLink BC
Province-wide telephone help line provided by government that can connect you to a victim service worker or program in your area

More information

Legal advice
Describes what is considered legal advice and why you might want to get some, even if you can't afford to hire a lawyer for your whole case

Legal aid
Describes legal aid and how/when to apply for a legal aid referral to a lawyer