Aboriginal people

Information about family law (including child protection) addressed specifically to Aboriginal people.

Frequently asked questions

What is a delegated Aboriginal agency?

Delegated Aboriginal agencies provide child welfare services to Aboriginal communities. Delegated Aboriginal agencies are part of the Ministry of Children and Family Development.

If a social worker contacts you or visits your home to ask questions about your family, he or she may be working for a delegated Aboriginal agency.

Delegated Aboriginal agencies may have the authority to:

  • remove (take) your child from your home, and
  • place your child in foster care.

See also our booklet Keeping Aboriginal Kids Safe.

The ministry's website has a full list of delegated Aboriginal agencies in BC.

Still got a question?

If your legal information question isn't answered here, please send us an email. Provide some background information for your question, including where you live in BC and the level of court involved (Provincial or Supreme), if applicable. Your question (without your name or identifying details) and its answer may be added to our FAQ pages.

If we can't answer your question, we may have to refer you elsewhere.

We can't guarantee that your question will be answered quickly. If you need a quick response, contact one of the resources listed in Who can help?