Who can help

If you've tried to resolve your family law problem but need some help, some of the services below may help you work out an agreement or apply for court orders. Use these links to find the best service to meet your needs.

Specially trained people who can help you

Child support officers
Attorney General staff who help parents with child support matters

Community partners
Service providers throughout BC who provide legal information and referrals to services such as legal aid

Family advice lawyers
Lawyers paid by Legal Aid to provide brief legal advice services

Family duty counsel (family lawyers)
Lawyers at the courthouses paid by Legal Aid to help people with low incomes deal with family law problems

Family justice counsellors
Family Justice Centre staff specially trained to help people find solutions to family law problems (they are accredited mediators)

Legal information outreach workers
Legal Aid staff members who provide legal information

Unbundled legal services
Find a lawyer who you can pay to take part of your case while you handle the rest yourself

Programs or services that can help you

Free (pro bono) legal clinics
Free legal advice clinics for people who can't afford a lawyer but can't get legal aid

Justice Access Centre (Vancouver, Victoria, and Nanaimo)
Government-funded offices that provide family and civil law information, advice, and services

Online resources

Online and telephone scripts about the law

Telephone services

Family LawLINE
Telephone advice line staffed by lawyers paid by Legal Aid

Lawyer Referral Service
Telephone service that provides the name of an eligible lawyer in BC you can have a brief meeting with for a small cost

More information

Legal advice
Describes what is considered legal advice and why you might want to get some, even if you can't afford to hire a lawyer for your whole case

Legal Aid
Describes legal aid and how/when to apply for a legal aid referral to a lawyer