Child protection/removal

If a child's safety is at risk, the Ministry of Children and Family Development (or a delegated Aboriginal agency) must look into it. If necessary, the ministry must take the child from the home.

Frequently asked questions

Can I get legal aid for my family law problem?

Legal aid in BC, provided by the Legal Services Society (Legal Aid BC or LSS), can take one of three possible forms: legal representation, legal advice, or legal information.

If you are financially eligible, you may be able to get legal representation and most legal advice for free. The eligibility guidelines for legal advice and for legal representation are separate. Legal information (plus some kinds of legal advice) is free to all British Columbians. If you're reading this page, you've already received a form of legal aid.

To find out more about legal representation for family law problems and what's covered, see the Serious family problems or Child protection matters pages on the Legal Aid BC website.

If you don't qualify for legal representation, you may still be eligible for legal advice services. To find out for sure whether your particular case qualifies for legal representation, go to your local legal aid office (or call the provincial LSS Call Centre) to apply.

What is a delegated Aboriginal agency?

Delegated Aboriginal agencies provide child welfare services to Aboriginal communities. Delegated Aboriginal agencies have an agreement with the Ministry of Children and Family Development to provide certain child welfare services to Aboriginal communities.

If a child protection worker contacts you or visits your home to ask questions about your family, they may be working for a delegated Aboriginal agency.

Delegated Aboriginal agencies may have the authority to:

  • remove your child from your home, and
  • place your child in foster care.

See also our booklet Keeping Aboriginal Kids Safe.

The ministry's website has a full list of delegated Aboriginal agencies in BC.

Still got a question?

If your legal information question isn't answered here, please send us an email. Provide some background information for your question, including where you live in BC and the level of court involved (Provincial or Supreme), if applicable. Your question (without your name or identifying details) and its answer may be added to our FAQ pages.

If we can't answer your question, we may have to refer you elsewhere.

We can't guarantee that your question will be answered quickly. If you need a quick response, contact one of the resources listed in Who can help?