Information about family law addressed specifically to immigrants or available in languages other than English.

Frequently asked questions

Can Immigration Canada ask me for proof that my past common-law relationship is over before I can sponsor my new husband?

Yes — one of the documents they ask for is a "Declaration of severance." It's probably enough to give them a letter saying that your relationship with your former partner ended as of a certain date, and that you haven't tried to get back together. Be sure to sign your letter.

However, if you want to make completely sure that the immigration office is satisfied, you can pay a notary public to write up a Statutory Declaration for you with this same information. You then swear to the truth of the declaration in front of that notary public, who puts his or her seal on the document.

Still got a question?

If your legal information question isn't answered here, please send us an email. Provide some background information for your question, including where you live in BC and the level of court involved (Provincial or Supreme), if applicable. Your question (without your name or identifying details) and its answer may be added to our FAQ pages.

If we can't answer your question, we may have to refer you elsewhere.

We can't guarantee that your question will be answered quickly. If you need a quick response, contact one of the resources listed in Who can help?