Staying out of court

Information to help you deal with your family law case wihout going to court.

Frequently asked questions

How can I turn my separation agreement into a court order?

If you file your separation agreement at a court registry, the court can enforce the parts of your agreement that have to do with parenting and child and spousal support as if they were court orders. You can also apply for a consent order based on the terms of your agreement (see our step-by-step guide to getting a consent order).

If you have a lawyer, he or she can advise you about which court would be appropriate.

For more information, see our fact sheet Making an agreement after you separate.

What is collaborative family law?

If you and your spouse or common-law partner decide to divorce or separate, instead of going to court, you can agree to work together with lawyers who practise collaborative family law to find acceptable solutions that work for both of you.

In the collaborative family law process, both you and your spouse or partner are represented by your own lawyer. The collaborative process focuses on your needs and your children's needs. Communication between you and your spouse/partner is open and full and you and your spouse/partner are encouraged to reach your own decisions about issues that are important to you.

See Collaborative family lawyers for more information.

Still got a question?

If your legal information question isn't answered here, please send us an email. Provide some background information for your question, including where you live in BC and the level of court involved (Provincial or Supreme), if applicable. Your question (without your name or identifying details) and its answer may be added to our FAQ pages.

If we can't answer your question, we may have to refer you elsewhere.

We can't guarantee that your question will be answered quickly. If you need a quick response, contact one of the resources listed in Who can help?