Q&A — Welfare and benefits

A ministry worker can help answer your questions. For your safety during COVID-19, it's best not to go in to a ministry office.

  • Instead contact the ministry by phone at 1-866-866-0800 or through My Self Serve.
  • If you have documents to submit, you can mail them or put them in the drop box at a ministry office. Or you can phone 1-866-866-0800 to discuss options with a ministry worker.
  • If you must go to your local ministry office, call them to check when they’re open before you visit. In-person service might be affected by COVID-19.

See the ministry website for more information about how to get income and disability assistance services.

If you have trouble getting the information you need, talk to an advocate (community worker trained to help people). To find an advocate experienced in helping with welfare problems, see Get more help on this page.

During COVID-19, the federal and provincial governments are providing emergency financial help for people on income assistance or disability assistance and seniors with low incomes.

Don't see your question here? Email us.

Page last updated: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 15:00 hrs

Get more help

These organizations provide free help for people on welfare or with low incomes. Their websites include where to find more help during the pandemic.

BC211 — Information and confidential referrals to get help in your community

Disability Alliance BC — Help for people with disabilities, including free self-help guides about BC’s disability benefits and programs

Povnet — Information about poverty issues, including a Find an Advocate map of advocacy groups throughout BC

Seniors First BC — Legal advice, advocacy, and representation for adults age 55 and up with legal issues involving tenancy, debt, and government benefits