Protecting yourself & your family

Leave site now

You can get an order from the court to protect yourself and your family from abuse and family violence.

If you've experienced family violence or if you think there's a risk of violence, you can apply for a peace bond or family law protection order. A protection order can only be taken against a member of your family. A peace bond can be taken out against anyone, including someone you might have only dated briefly.

If you're not sure about what is considered abuse or violence, see What is abuse?.

Remember to clear your internet browsing history if you need to.

Read more

Family law protection orders

Explains what a family law protection order is, how to apply for one, and what happens once the protection order is in place.

Peace bonds and family law protection orders

Describes the difference between a peace bond and a family law protection order, explains which one to choose for each situation, and sets out what each one can do/cover.

Your guide to safety

Apply for a family law protection order (Provincial Court)

Step-by-step guide for how to apply for a court order to protect yourself from a family member.

Make a safety plan on MyLawBC

Do the guided pathway on MyLawBC to make a safety plan for yourself and your family.